16 July 2011
Every Saturday from May through October, Penticton’s downtown business core is transformed into a wonderful street market. The first 3 blocks of Main Street, plus adjoining green spaces overflow with
- farmer’s booths featuring the bounty of our wonderful climate and soils (the majority of the produce being certified organic!),
- artisan’s booths of the fine arts as well as crafts of all descriptions,
- numerous buskers reflecting the diversity of the musical arts,
- a great variety of food stalls showing off the ethnic diversity of our community,
- entertainment for your children,
- and quite often there are also performances of dance and/or live theatre.
The stores and restaurants along the street are of course also open, and many of them join the street activities with sidewalk cafes and displays.
Numerous residents and visitors turn out every Saturday morning from about 8 am till noon to take part in this truly community event. And if you can’t make it out on Saturdays, there are also evening markets on the lakeshore. This year (2011) they are taking place on Tuesdays and Thursdays in July and August near the SS Sicamous.
The next few posts will feature some snapshots from the Saturday market. Today’s pictures highlight some of the excellent variety of farmers market stalls and food vendors.